top of page


  • What does a Marriage Celebrant do?
    An authorised Marriage Celebrant is appointed by the Federal Government to carry out marriages according to the law. They will ensure that all the legal requirements are met and lodge all the legal paperwork required. They will work with you to make sure that your wedding day is a something to remember and help you every step of the way. Finding the right celebrant who feels right and fits your vision is crucial. Don’t settle for just anyone, get the celebrant you want, the best way to do this is meet up for a chat – you will know if they are right for you! They book out fast so try and book the one you want early!
  • When and where can a couple be married?
    A marriage occurring in Australia may be carried out on any day, at any time and at any place.
  • Do I have to be an Australian Citizen to marry in Australia?
    No. Anyone can marry in Australia providing they are both over 18 and not currently legally married.
  • Can I be married if I am under 18 years of age?
    The minimum age you can marry in Australia is 18 years. However, if one party is 18 and the other is still a minor the following two requirements must be met for a celebrant to consider solemnising the marriage A judge or magistrate has made an order authorising the person to marry a particular person of marriageable age (over 18) The required consents (usually parental) has been given for the marriage to take place
  • How much notice needs to be given before marrying?
    The Notice of Intended Marriage needs to be lodged no more than 18 months before your wedding day and no less than 4 weeks prior to your wedding day. A shortening of time (less than 4 weeks) can be granted only in the most extraordinary of circumstances Employment-related or other travel commitments Wedding or celebration arrangements, or religious considerations Medical reasons Legal proceedings Error in giving notice
  • What documents will I need to provide?
    If you have never been married before you will need to bring with you; A birth certificate or a passport Driver’s license if you have one If you have been divorced, you will need to bring with you; Birth Certificate or Passport Divorce Certificate (if you have been divorced more than once I will only need the latest certificate) Documentation showing your current residential address If a widow/widower, you will need to bring with you; Birth Certificate or Passport Death Certificate of former spouse Documentation showing your current residential address. Please note the following: If your documentation is in another language you will need it translated by a certified NAATI-qualified translator for more details on how to access a qualified translator please visit: If your name differs from your Birth Certificate, I will need to see a previous Marriage Certificate or Change of Name Certificate issued by Births, Deaths & Marriages. If you do not have a Birth Certificate, I can provide advice on completing a Statutory Declaration confirming your identity.
  • How many witnesses do you need?
    You need two people who are over the age of 18 who can speak and understand English
  • Can we have a surprise wedding?
    The surprise must be for your guests only, but you can’t have a surprise for your intended as both of you must be fully aware that you are getting married and both have completed the legal documentation.
  • Can we elope?
    Yes, elopements are very popular, as long as all the legal paperwork is in place and within the timeframes that’s great, you will also still be required to have 2 witnesses present over the age of 18.
  • How long will the ceremony take?
    A personalised wedding ceremony may take up to 20 minutes to perform but can be shorter if you require and as long as all the legal requirements are met.
  • We are getting married outdoors do we need a "Wet Weather Option"
    YES!!!! This is highly recommended in the event there is poor weather on your big day and to have a plan B will help to reduce everyone’s stress levels and last-minute anxieties.
  • What happens if we have to postpone our wedding?
    The Notice of Intended Marriage document we complete at our planning meeting is valid for 18 months, I would be happy to reschedule your wedding within this timeframe and I if am not already booked on the new date.
  • Can we use your PA system for our music?
    Yes of course you can! You will need to allocate someone to be responsible for the music to allow me to do my celebrant duties but that would be no problem at all – it may be good for them to attend the rehearsal too so I can show them how it works.
  • What would happen if you were to get sick?
    I will do everything I can to attend your wedding but if I were to get sick, I have an awesome group of celebrants who would be able to step in for me should they need to!
  • Will my name automatically be changed after I get married?
    No. On the day I will be giving you a Certificate of Marriage from the Australian Commonwealth – this will show that you are legally married. You will need to apply for an Official Marriage Certificate from your States Births, Deaths and Marriages Department.

Got a question I haven't answered?

Please feel free to reach out!

bottom of page